Sunday, April 27, 2008

Love is a many-splendored thing . . .

While at the Sugartown Historic Days event, we saw a tandem bike and were intrigued because it had a GPS unit attached in front of the second seat.  Later we ran into the man as he was walking the bike over to where his wife was.  We talked as we walked.  When I asked if I could take his picture he said to wait until he rejoined his wife so she could be in the photo, too.  (Isn't that sweet?)

During our conversation, we learned that he bikes a lot.  He could easily rack of 3000 miles a year on his own bike.  Together they rack up about 1000 miles a year on their tandem.  (I think the best Bob and I did was 100 miles one summer.)  They are heading to NYC next weekend to ride in the Commerce Bank Five Boro Bike Tour.

But what I found so special about this couple is that the reason they ride a tandem bike is because the wife now has MS and can no longer ride her own bike.  Now, if that ain't love, I don't know what love is.  We should all have a love that special in our lives.

No comments: